Any revision to this policy will be effective as of the revision’s publication date. An up-to-date version shall be posted on our website, www.hku.hk/hkuaaont, and can also be obtained from any of our directors, volunteers or agents.
1. Collecting and using Personal Information
We collect Personal Information from you so that we may from time to time keep you informed of our past and upcoming activities, send to you our newsletters or other publications, contact you in respect of your membership status, maintain up-to-date information on each of our members and provide other membership services to you (collectively, “membership services”). Should there be any further or other purposes, we shall explain to you the purposes for such collection either before or at the time of collection. We shall limit the Personal Information we collect to what we need for the said purposes, and we shall use it only for such purposes. We are required by law to first obtain your consent if we wish to use your Personal Information for any other purposes which have not previously been consented to by you.
2. Disclosing Personal Information
In the course of organizing activities for members and providing membership services, we may be required to provide your Personal Information to other persons. We shall do so where:
- we have your consent;
- the other parties are our volunteers or agents who assist us in organizing activities for members and providing membership services;
- such disclosure is reasonably necessary for organizing the activities and providing membership services; or
- we are required or permitted to do so by law.
We are not in the business of selling customer lists or information to others and assure you that we shall not do so with your Personal Information.
Upon submitting a membership registration form to us, you consent to us releasing your Personal Information:
- for the purposes of organizing activities for members and providing membership services;
- to our volunteers or agents for assisting us in organizing activities for members and providing membership services; or
- as is required by law.
3. Protecting Personal Information
We shall protect your Personal Information with safeguards and security measures appropriate to the sensitivity of the information.
4. Providing you access to your Personal Information and maintaining its accuracy
Upon your request, we shall give you access to the Personal Information we retain about you.
We shall make reasonable efforts to keep your Personal Information accurate for the purpose collected.
Please note that we may not be able to provide information about you from our records which contains references to other persons which is subject to confidentiality or cannot be disclosed for other legal reasons.
5. Respecting and responding to your privacy concerns
If you have any questions, concerns or problems about privacy, confidentiality or how a request for information was handled, you may contact our privacy officer by phone, mail, or email. Our privacy officer is Mr. Tim Cheng and his contact information is as follows:
Mr. Tim Cheng
Hong Kong University Alumni Association of Ontario c/o 18 Crown Steel Drive, Suite 202 Markham, Ontario L3R 9X8
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org